Thursday, October 13, 2016

Truth Really Can Be Stranger Than Fiction


Leaving the store, I couldn't find my keys.  They weren't in my pocket or purse.  Suddenly I realized I must have left them in the car.  Frantically, I headed for the parking lot.  My husband had scolded me many times for leaving the keys in the ignition fearing the car could be stolen.  

The parking lot was empty.  I immediately called the police.  I gave them my location, confessed that I had probably left my keys in the car and that it had been stolen.  Then, I made the most difficult call of all to my husband.  


"I left my keys in the car and it's been stolen," I said.

There was a moment of silence. I thought the call had been disconnected, but then I heard his voice.

"Are you kidding me?" he barked.  "I dropped you off."

Now it was may turn to be silent.  Embarrassed, I said.  "Well, come and get me then."

He retorted.  "I will as soon as I can convince this cop that I didn't steal your damn car."

Okay, the above is a joke, but I can totally understand how this could happen.  I will now tell you a true story  Years ago; I returned to work after lunch.  Several times during the afternoon, people reported a car was running in the parking lot, and there didn't seem to be anyone around.  The story was always dismissed.  Do you see where this is going?  Sure as God made little green apples, I returned to the parking lot after work, and sure enough, there sat my car, engine running away. The only good part was that the car was locked.  Luckily there was a hidden key beneath the fender, so I didn't have to call Ray to come and get me.   Needless to say, it was years before I shared this story with Ray.  

See you later for more Aimless Ramblings.








8 comments:

  1. Sunny,
    You had me fooled. I love both little tales and so did my fellow companions..... who you know!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this has really happened to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Sunny...recognized the joke. Ooh...you were so lucky you had enough gas in your car that it stayed running the entire time. ;)

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL Sunny, enjoyed these tales, though I'm not sure I'm convinced :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. First year of marriage I locked my keys in the car and had to call Nick to come with his key to let me in. I was about an hour away. Going back to the car I found one of the back doors was unlocked. I rushed back in to call Nick, but he'd already left - no cell phones back then. I did what I think any woman would have done. Went out, locked that back door and slammed it. No way he was going to get there and find that car unlocked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to laugh at PK's story as much as yours, Sunny. I did the same thing on a very hot day one time. I started the engine, flipped on the AC, and stepped back out of the car to help a friend with a cast on her leg. Sam had to come bail me out. I felt like a total idiot.

    Missing you, my friend,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunny, I've heard that joke before but it didn't click. I thought it really happened to you. OMG just as well you car was locked with your engine running and IT didn't get stolen. What on earth did Ray say once you told him years later?
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) I can totally see this happening for real... thanks for the smile Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day